EMAIL SIGN UP!
Most Popular This Week
- Krugman: Worried About Oligarchy? You Ain't Seen Nothing Yet
- The Change Within: The Obstacles We Face Are Not Just External
- Does Climate Apathy Hinge on 'Pervasive' American Stupidity?
- 'Fuck Earth Day': Let This Year's Be The Last
- 'Straight from the Horse's Mouth': Former Oil Exec Says Fracking Not Safe
Today's Top News
Greedy Bankers Who Screwed Everyone Are Finally On Trial, Just Not In This Country
This week in Dublin, three former executives of the now-defunct Anglo Irish Bank went on trial for illegal practices that eventually crashed the economy, leading to an 85 billion euro bailout by the government - aka still-angry taxpayers. Years in the making, the complex trial is expected to last up to six months, involving 24 million documents, 800 witness statement and over 300 jury volunteers who have been warned they won't be chosen if they're too peeved to be "fair," even though the banksters evidently weren't. Particularly damning have been tape recordings of the executives laughingly discussing the bailout amount, which one says he "picked (out) of my arse." This should and could have been done here, and many of us are in fact - hope against hope - still waiting for it to be done here.