EMAIL SIGN UP!
Most Popular This Week
- What the US Media Won't Tell You About Ukraine
- Heard the One About Obama Denouncing a Breach of International Law?
- Hundreds of Students Arrested Demanding Climate Action
- Bernie Sanders: 'I Am Prepared to Run for President of the United States'
- Ukraine in Context: What You Don't Know About a New Cold War
Today's Top News
12.04.13 - 2:26 PM
Properly Shielded, Except When It's Not: Nuclear Waste Truck Stolen Tip of Radioactive Iceberg
Here's the terrifying punchline about that truck in Mexico hauling "extremely dangerous" radioactive waste that was (likely cluelessly) stolen: It's far from the first time, or the last. Each year, the UN watchdog International Atomic Energy Agency records between 40 and 100 cases of theft, loss or illegal possession - depending on your source and definition - of nuclear material held in buildings sometimes guarded by as little as a hapless watchman, leading the IAEA to call this latest drive-by theft at a Mexican gas station the "tip of the iceberg."
"This is the way the world ends. Not with a bang but a whimper, or a bang resulting from an idiotic mistake." - T.S. Eliot, paraphrased.