EMAIL SIGN UP!
Most Popular This Week
- US Is an Oligarchy Not a Democracy, says Scientific Study
- Krugman: Worried About Oligarchy? You Ain't Seen Nothing Yet
- Pulitzer Vindicates: Snowden Journalists Win Top Honor
- Study: Fracking Emissions Up To 1000x Higher Than EPA Estimates
- Hillary Clinton and the Future Failure of Progressive Hope and Change
Today's Top News
Polluters Talk, We Walk
A day after over 130 poor countries walked out of UN climate talks in Warsaw to protest the lack of progress, about 800 members of environmental groups staged their first ever mass walkout, charging the talks - held in conjunction with a coal summit and infused with corporate sponsorship - have "put the interests of dirty energy industries over that of global citizens." Wearing t-shirts reading "Volveremos" (We Will Return) members of Greenpeace, 350.org, WWF, Oxfam and other groups said the move was "not about giving up, (but) taking the struggle to a different level."
"Warsaw, which should have been an important step in the just transition to a sustainable future, is on track to deliver virtually nothing. We feel that governments have given up on the process...We need people around the world to start - in every country - putting pressure on their governments (to mandate) cutting carbon."