EMAIL SIGN UP!
Most Popular This Week
- US Is an Oligarchy Not a Democracy, says Scientific Study
- DOJ Investigation Confirms: Albuquerque Police 'Executing' Citizens
- What Do the Koch Brothers Really Want?
- Tutu: Climate Crisis Demands 'Anti-Apartheid-Style Boycott' of Fossil Fuel Industry
- Pulitzer Vindicates: Snowden Journalists Win Top Honor
Today's Top News
If Abortion Barbie Becomes Governor of Texas, Will She Teach Legislators the Word 'Contraception'?
In case you were worried, Texas' war on women is going swell, thanks: Family planning clinics are closing, access to birth control is getting ever tougher, the news of Wendy Davis' likely run for governor was swiftly met with a crassly sexist fake website from K Street and the National Review declaring her a "Democrat for Late-Term Abortion," and oh yeah governor - the only issue it lists is "abortion" - to go along with all the earlier desperate mudslinging. Meanwhile, the state has launched a new $1.2 million website, www.ourtown4teens.org, said to provide "all the resources needed" for communities to reduce teen pregnancy in a state that ranks third in the country for those pregnancies, which it says occur every ten minutes (can that possibly be right?). It offers a multitude of tips on “community mobilization” and “strategic action” in the name of that oh-so-time-tested practice of abstinence only, but fails to mention the word "contraception." Davis has said she will announce next week if she's running; if she is, wingnut-wise, it's not a moment too soon.