EMAIL SIGN UP!
Most Popular This Week
- What the US Media Won't Tell You About Ukraine
- Heard the One About Obama Denouncing a Breach of International Law?
- Bernie Sanders: 'I Am Prepared to Run for President of the United States'
- New England on 'High Alert' After Canadian Pipeline Reversal Approved
- Hundreds of Students Arrested Demanding Climate Action
Today's Top News
Suicide As Fashion Statement: What Could Possibly Go Wrong?
The latest award for Breathtaking Tastelessness In the Questionable Name of Selling Stuff goes to Vice Magazine, which ran a "Last Words" so-called fashion spread reenacting the suicides of female authors, complete with blood, splayed bodies and fashion notes. After a howl of outrage they pulled it from their website - but not print editions - with an almost equally tasteless non-apology explaining to us artless morons that their spreads are cool and unconventional and "approached with an art editorial point-of-view rather than a typical fashion photo-editorial one" and so what's our problem? Suicide rates are sharply up, especially among the middle-aged, with suicide now exceeding traffic accidents as a cause of death in this country and bringing untold grief and anguish to many, many people. That's our problem.