EMAIL SIGN UP!
Most Popular This Week
- US Is an Oligarchy Not a Democracy, says Scientific Study
- DOJ Investigation Confirms: Albuquerque Police 'Executing' Citizens
- Krugman: Worried About Oligarchy? You Ain't Seen Nothing Yet
- Pulitzer Vindicates: Snowden Journalists Win Top Honor
- Study: Fracking Emissions Up To 1000x Higher Than EPA Estimates
Today's Top News
Chicago Board Votes to Close Schools; Angry Residents Vow to Elect Asean Johnson Mayor As Soon As He's Old Enough
During a raucous meeting frequently interrupted by protesters, what teachers' union president Karen Lewis called Chicago's "unrepresentative, unelected corporate school board" approved a plan to close 49 elementary schools and a high school, the biggest closure in the city's history, in a move Lewis ripped as "not an education plan (but) a scorched earth policy." Among just four schools spared is Marcus Garvey, where nine-year-old Asean Johnson goes. Johnson had the crowd on their feet with an incredible, blistering attack on Mayor Rahm Emanuel and his racist indifference to the needs of Chicago kids. Just watch.
"You should be investing in these schools, not closing them. You should be supporting these schools, not closing them. We shall not be moved today... We are not going down without a fight.”