EMAIL SIGN UP!
Most Popular This Week
- US Is an Oligarchy Not a Democracy, says Scientific Study
- DOJ Investigation Confirms: Albuquerque Police 'Executing' Citizens
- What Do the Koch Brothers Really Want?
- Tutu: Climate Crisis Demands 'Anti-Apartheid-Style Boycott' of Fossil Fuel Industry
- Pulitzer Vindicates: Snowden Journalists Win Top Honor
Today's Top News
Poor Kids: Let Them Eat (and Empty) Trash Cans
With the sequester hitting all the wrong people and places, it was refreshing to hear of West Virginia's innovative Feed to Achieve Act, by which a first-of-its-kind public and private partnershp would expand the existing national free lunch program to make sure poor kids don't go hungry because, you know, they're kids and all. Enter GOP jerk Ray Canterbury, who thinks those kids should first have to sweep the halls and take out the trash - by which means even "if they miss a lunch and they might not learn to add (they’ll) learn a more important lesson,” presumably that by dint of being poor that's likely all they can expect of life. Harsh. Happily, many of his colleagues blasted him.
“It is pathetic that in a country as wealthy as this, we’re talking about whether we should feed kids or not. Somebody better check your pulse and see if you’re still living." - Democratic House Majority Leader Brent Boggs.