Sign-Up for Newsletter!
Most Popular This Week
- Members of Congress Declare "Immunity" from Insider Trading Probe
- Afraid to Stoke Populist Ire, Obama Abandons 'Inequality' Rhetoric
- Supreme Court's Women in Scathing Dissent on Contraception Ruling
- NSA 'Bombshell': Agency Spied on Prominent American Citizens
- Unpatriotic US Corporations Becoming Hot Political Issue That Unites Right and Left
Today's Top News
Pulitzer for Reporting on the Biggest Tar Sands Spill You've Never Heard Of
The online, low-profile, non-profit InsideClimate News won a Pulitzer Prize for national reporting for "The Dilbit Disaster: Inside the Biggest Oil Spill You've Never Heard Of," its seven-month investigation into the million-gallon spill of Canadian tar sands oil into the Kalamazoo River in 2010 - triggering the most expensive, and still unfinished, cleanup in U.S. history - which grew into a damning look at national pipeline safety issues and the hazards posed by diluted bitumen, or “dilbit.” Yes: same stuff in the ExxonMobil spill in Arkansas, and Keystone XL.