EMAIL SIGN UP!
Most Popular This Week
- US Is an Oligarchy Not a Democracy, says Scientific Study
- DOJ Investigation Confirms: Albuquerque Police 'Executing' Citizens
- What Do the Koch Brothers Really Want?
- Tutu: Climate Crisis Demands 'Anti-Apartheid-Style Boycott' of Fossil Fuel Industry
- Pulitzer Vindicates: Snowden Journalists Win Top Honor
Today's Top News
The Silent Killers: Birth Defects In Iraq
Amidst the horrors we have visited upon the people of Iraq is this: Toxic contamination from depleted uranium munitions - bullets, bombs, explosives - is causing a sharp rise in unheard-of birth defects, along with cancer and a host of kidney, lung, liver, immune system illnesses and miscarriages. Officials estimate that between 2002 and 2005, U.S. armed forces expended six billion bullets, many filled with deadly metal contaminants - lead, uranium, mercury - still in the environment. Of the resulting birth defects, doctors say "there are not even medical terms to describe some of these conditions because we've never seen them until now." We concur: There are no words. Warning: Very disturbing pictures.
"I ask (people in the U.S.) to ask their government not to hurt people outside of their country. Especially the people of Iraq." - an Iraqi doctor.