EMAIL SIGN UP!
Most Popular This Week
- US Is an Oligarchy Not a Democracy, says Scientific Study
- DOJ Investigation Confirms: Albuquerque Police 'Executing' Citizens
- What Do the Koch Brothers Really Want?
- Tutu: Climate Crisis Demands 'Anti-Apartheid-Style Boycott' of Fossil Fuel Industry
- Pulitzer Vindicates: Snowden Journalists Win Top Honor
Today's Top News
Naming the Dead: Shabbir, Kalam, Waqas, Bashir Et Al
In the wake of egregious claims by John Brennan and other officials that few if any civilians are killed by U.S. drones, the Bureau of Investigative Journalism has launched a new project to name as many as possible of those killed in covert drone strikes who have to date remained nameless. Currently, the names of just 20% of at least 2,000 victims have been identified. A crowd-sourced project with help from the Freedom of the Press Foundation. Give to support accountability, and to break the supposed bubble that Norman Solomon blasts as simply "normalizing silence and complicity."
"What clearly irks the US intelligence community is the light we continue to shine on civilians reported killed....At stake may be the very definition of a ‘civilian’ in the modern battlefield."