EMAIL SIGN UP!
Most Popular This Week
- The Empire Strikes Back: How Wall Street Has Turned Housing Into a Dangerous Get-Rich-Quick Scheme -- Again
- Scared to Death in the USA
- Bernie Sanders: To Defeat Oligarchy, I Would Run for President
- What’s Good For Bill Gates Turns Out To Be Bad For Public Schools
- Pope Slams Rampant Inequality, 'Economy That Kills'
Today's Top News
Hi Girls! This Holiday Season, Enjoy Your Pink Cleaning Trolley! Your Pink Baby Carriage! Or Your Computer or Microscope, Because Even If They Have Only Half the Functions of the Boys', They're Pink!
So if you're going shopping for your kids this weekend, you probably know how much awful crap is out there - demeaning, toxic, dumb, awful crap. Some is gender-neutrally awful, like the McDonald's Cash Register Playset or 7-11 Slurpee Maker to prepare your children for their low-wage, no-benefits, grease-and-sugar-soaked future. But much is so breathtakingly sexist you'd swear the last 50 or 60 years never happened. A 13-year-old girl from New Jersey has begun a Change.org petition - with 33,000-plus signatures and counting - to protest Hasbro's oh-so-girly Easy Bake Oven, arguing that her four-year-old brother wants to cook too and he shouldn't get the message that "women cook, men work." Bravo to her, but man she's got her work cut out for her. To show she's not alone, here's video from a year or so back showing Riley freaking out at all that damn pink princessey stuff. We know just how she feels.