EMAIL SIGN UP!
Most Popular This Week
- One American Who Isn't For Sale
- Edward Snowden: Saving Us from the United Stasi of America
- Major Loss to Organic Farmers as Court Rules in Favor of Monsanto
- The Judicial Lynching of Bradley Manning
- Remembering Satyajit Ray’s Hirok Rajar Deshe: On Edward Snowden, Resistance and Inverted Totalitarianism
Today's Top News
In Michigan, A Righteous Rage At Lame-Duck, Middle-of-the-Night Anti-Union Maneuvers
A furious day in Michigan, historic home to organized labor, as thousands of boisterous workers, activists and union members protested a surprise move by the lame-duck, GOP-controlled legislature to push through right-to-work bills after Gov. Rick Snyder suddenly flip-flopped on the issue. Police pepper-sprayed, arrested and blocked protesters from the Capitol, and Democrats briefly walked out. But the bills passed in the House, and are still making their way through the Senate. Video, updates, the role of the Koch brothers. This could get interesting.
"These guys have lied to us all along the way," said Michigan Senate Democratic leader Gretchen Whitmer. "They are pushing through the most divisive legislation they could come up with in the dark of night, at the end of a lame-duck session, and then they're going to hightail it out of town. It's cowardly."