EMAIL SIGN UP!
Most Popular This Week
- Edward Snowden's Not the Story. The Fate of the Internet Is
- The Brief, Tragic Reign of Consumerism—and the Birth of a Happy Alternative
- The United States of... Class War, Inequality, and Poverty
- CIA Agent: Bush Officials Threw Us 'Under Bus' over Rendition
- The Bad Seed: The Health Risks of Genetically Modified Corn
Today's Top News
Shockingly Less Than: Choosing a Dying Fetus Over A Living Woman
Savita Halappanavar, a Hindu dentist, died after she arrived at an Irish hospital miscarrying at 17 weeks of a wanted pregnancy, spent three days in agony repeatedly asking for an abortion of her non-viable fetus, and was just as repeatedly denied because, "This is a Catholic country." A woman left to suffer and die, her life sacrificed to that of a fetus that would not live, in the name of an ideology that deems a non-viable fetus more important than a living, breathing, 31-year-old woman - this is a horror. She deserved to live. So do the nearly 22 million women worldwide who undergo unsafe abortions each year; so did the 47,000 women who each year die from them. Many protests, with the same message. Never again.
From her husband, engineer Praveen Halappanavar