EMAIL SIGN UP!
Most Popular This Week
- US Is an Oligarchy Not a Democracy, says Scientific Study
- DOJ Investigation Confirms: Albuquerque Police 'Executing' Citizens
- What Do the Koch Brothers Really Want?
- Tutu: Climate Crisis Demands 'Anti-Apartheid-Style Boycott' of Fossil Fuel Industry
- Why US Fracking Companies Are Licking Their Lips Over Ukraine
Today's Top News
Guns: The Elephant In the Room, Still and All
The most noteworthy part of today's hearing for Jared Loughner wasn't his multiple life term sentences but the appearance of Gabby Giffords and her husband Mark Kelly's powerful statement on her behalf. After movingly citing what she'd lost - her struggle to walk and speak, how "Gabby works harder in one minute of an hour – fighting to make each individual moment count for something – than most of us work in an entire day" - Kelly slammed politicians "afraid to do something as simple as have a meaningful debate about our gun laws...who look at gun violence, not as a problem to solve, but as the white elephant in the room to ignore" - and singled out Arizona Gov. Jan Brewer's "feckless leadership."
"Mr. Loughner, you may have put a bullet through her head, but you haven’t put a dent in her spirit and her commitment to make the world a better place....You have decades upon decades to contemplate what you did. But after today. After this moment. Here and now. Gabby and I are done thinking about you."