EMAIL SIGN UP!
Most Popular This Week
- Corporate Win: Supreme Court Says Monsanto Has 'Control Over Product of Life'
- Cornel West: Obama 'Is a War Criminal'
- Patent Filing Claims Solar Energy ‘Breakthrough’
- Disaster Capitalism Strikes as Hedge Funds Circle Near-Bankrupt Municipalities Like Vultures
- Ignoring Bee Crisis, EPA Greenlights New 'Highly Toxic' Pesticide
Today's Top News
A License To Murder
Blasting the NRA for endorsing "civilian gun play," New York Mayor Michael Bloomberg and civil rights leaders have launched a national grassroots campaign, Second Chance on Shoot First, aimed at states with ‘Stand Your Ground’ laws like the one that left Trayvon Martin dead and George Zimmerman free too long. They cited soaring rates of "justifiable homicide" in states with either Stand Your Ground laws or weak gun control laws in general.
"Florida was the NRA’s first target, and it succeeded in pushing the bill through the legislature over the objections of leading police and law enforcement… In reality, the NRA’s leaders weren’t interested in public safety. They were interesting in promoting a culture where people take the law into their own hands and face no consequences for it. Let’s call that by its real name: Vigilantism."