EMAIL SIGN UP!
Most Popular This Week
- Corporate Win: Supreme Court Says Monsanto Has 'Control Over Product of Life'
- How the US Turned Three Pacifists into Violent Terrorists
- Cornel West: Obama 'Is a War Criminal'
- In 'March Toward Disaster,' World Hits 400 PPM Milestone
- Revealed: How US State Department 'Twists Arms' on Monsanto's Behalf
Today's Top News
At Foxconn Factory, Fast Food and Soccer Stadium Notwithstanding, Nobody's A Fan of the Work
Marketplace's Shanghai Bureau Chief Rob Schmitz was only the second reporter to gain access to the factory floor at Foxconn's Longhua campus in the city of Shenzhen, home to 240,000 workers making Apple products for about $14 a day. He describes a city with its own restaurants, banks, swimming pools, gym, astro-turf soccer stadium, television station alongside looming factory buildings strung with horizontal nets, installed in response to a string of suicides by workers driven to despair by the "incredibly boring and repetitive work."