EMAIL SIGN UP!
Most Popular This Week
- US Is an Oligarchy Not a Democracy, says Scientific Study
- DOJ Investigation Confirms: Albuquerque Police 'Executing' Citizens
- What Do the Koch Brothers Really Want?
- Tutu: Climate Crisis Demands 'Anti-Apartheid-Style Boycott' of Fossil Fuel Industry
- Pulitzer Vindicates: Snowden Journalists Win Top Honor
Today's Top News
Solving War Crimes With Wrist Bands: The White Savior Industrial Complex
An incisive look by writer Teju Cole at Invisible Children/Kony2012, white privilege, American sentimentality and the arrogant sense of "a world (that) is nothing but a problem to be solved by enthusiasm" - a view that "supports brutal policies in the morning, founds charities in the afternoon, and receives awards in the evening." First, do no harm, he urges; then, expose "the money-driven villainy at the heart of American foreign policy."
"There is the idea that those who are being helped ought to be consulted over the matters that concern them...If we are going to interfere in the lives of others, a little due diligence is a minimum requirement."