FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Celebrated Writers, Actors, Filmmakers and Performers At ACLU 2008 Membership Conference
Media Opportunities Available
WASHINGTON, DC - May 27 - Celebrated writers, actors, filmmakers, comedians and musicians will be speaking and performing at the 2008 ACLU Membership Conference, “Stand Up For Freedom,” from June 8 through 10 in Washington D.C. Members of the media are invited to attend and take advantage of opportunities including one-on-one interviews with SOME celebrities, ACLU leaders, experts, bloggers and others.
During the intensive three-day conference, many of the entertainment personalities will discuss and share their views on ACLU priority issues with ACLU members from all across the country alongside some of the nation's top political leaders and policymakers and ACLU legislative and legal staff.
In an opening night panel that will mark the launch of a new ACLU program, Rights / Camera / Action, speakers will discuss how arts and entertainment can be used to illuminate human rights and civil liberties issues. Speakers include:
• Peter Gilbert, filmmaker, “At the Death House Door”
• Alex Gibney, Oscar-winning filmmaker, “Taxi to the Dark Side”
• Robb Moss, filmmaker, “Secrecy”
• Kal Penn, actor, “Harold and Kumar Escape from Guantánamo Bay”
• Ricki Stern, filmmaker, “The Trials of Darryl Hunt”
• Johanna Blakley, (moderator), Deputy Director, The Norman Lear Center